Just like all other devices, printers have a password too. Humans are prone to forgetting passwords, be it smartphones or printers; we all have been there. Thus, this blog will show you how to reset your HP wireless printer password.
How to Reset HP Wireless Printer Password:
We all are well aware of the fact that cybercriminals can easily hack computers and mobile devices. Unfortunately, printer machines are no exception. They are as easy to hack as some other regular device is. This is not only applicable to your personal printer; it can be done to your office printer as well.
Additionally, an increasing number of printer attacks have been reported in the past few years. To our surprise, most of them are due to users’ negligence. You must be wondering how this is a user’s fault, but there are still some people who use 123456 and password as their passwords. Yes, a very easy guess for the cybercriminal to give access to your printer.
Let’s look at what countermeasures we can take to prevent that from happening and how we can reset the HP wireless printer password.
Reset Your HP Printer Password:
HP has one of the best printer lineups to offer its customers. To access the HP printer, you’d need to enter the password. You can follow some quick steps to reset the HP printer password. Here is the step-by-step guide to doing that:
- On your printer, go to the home menu
- Once you are on the home menu, click the arrow which points towards the right to enter into the setup
- Choose the network option from the setup
- Scroll down until you see the Restore Network Default option
- Click on the Reset Network Default Option and wait until you see your printer comes back to default settings
- Now, on your PC, go to the Control Panel option.
- Under hardware and sound, you will see an option called devices and printer
- You will see a list of all the devices attached to your computer. Locate your HP wireless printer and right-click on it
- As soon as you right-click, a drop-down menu will appear. Click on properties from that menu
- Navigate to the password section. From here, you can enter a new password and save changes
Problems You May Face While Resetting Password:
More often than not, you can get issues with resetting the HP wireless printer password. It can happen because of the outdated printer drivers you installed, or your PC has.
Altering the outdated drivers will do no good in resetting your password. For resetting, you will have to first:
- Make sure you have the latest printer drivers
- Since you cannot make changes to the outdated drivers, you will have to download the latest HP printer drivers for your printer through their support website
How to Check For Your Printer’s Latest Drivers:
- On your Windows PC, navigate to the Windows search bar
- Type in “Device Manager” and hit enter
- You will see a list of all devices currently connected to your PC
- Go to print queues and find your HP printer
- When you locate your HP wireless printer, right-click and select update driver. Usually, the first option
- Your PC will search for the most recent updated drivers for your printer and install them
Updating Drivers Manually:
If in case you are not able to update your HP printer’s driver automatically, you always have the option to update the drivers through HP’s official website.
Here is how you can do that:
- Go to your printer’s support website. In our case, it is HP
- On the Enter your product name option, enter the name or model number of your HP printer
- If you do not know the exact model or product name of your printer, worry not, as it is written on the printer
- You can also select the product from a popular printer section down below
- Download and install the latest drivers for your printer and try resetting your password as explained above
Can we Recover Hacked Printers by Resetting Password?
The answer to this can be yes and no. HP printers are not immune to hacking; they are as exposed to cybercriminals as any other device. Hackers discover new vulnerabilities every day, and there is little end users can do about it. However, some preventive measures on the printer’s end can help prevent this from happening. The first thing you can do is reset your HP wireless printer password in one of the ways mentioned above. This will give you fresh access to your device. Make sure you choose a complicated password.
- Periodic password resets can be a great way to keep the bad guys out. Additionally, wireless and network printers are prone to get hacked easily since they’re wirelessly connected
- Keeping your firmware up to date is another good practice to prevent your printer from getting hacked
- Make sure there are no open ports, so your hackers intervene and hack the printer. Keep all the open ports closed
- Never connect your printer to public/open WiFis at any cost. Ensure that you have a password protected wifi at home or office
What to do if Your HP Wireless Printer is Hacked:
If you’re the unlucky one today and your HP wireless printer was hacked for some reason, the first thing you should do it so reset the password on it. There is a high probability that the hacker just broke into your printer but did not change the security.
Although, your best bet is to choose a password that is not easily hackable. Think of a strong password as a shield, and attacks hackers make are spears. These strong shiels protect your device from the spears coming your way.
If you cannot create a new password, or if you are having difficulty setting up a new password, let the password manager help you generate it. Furthermore, password manager software is a great way to keep the password safe. Eventually, you will never forget your password and remember it at a glance.
By following the above mentioned steps you can easily reset your hp wireless printer password following these easy steps . All the processes endorsed and well described by experts to resolve your printer issues.